Thursday, July 19, 2012

To Destroy Avodah Zarah Or Not To Destroy Avodah Zarah: That Is The Question!

ראש חודש החמישי תשב"ע
Life In Israel: The Knesset Explodes Over The Tearing Of A New Testament

Rafi G., July 19 2012

The Knesset is always so interesting, dynamic and explosive...

After MK Dr. Michael Ben-Ari tore up a New Testament that had been sent to him in the mail.

Go to Rafi's post to read and see about MK Ahmed Tibi's public tantrum and rant!

Rafi himself did not seem to think that what MK Ben-Ari did was such a good idea:
For the record, I don't believe tearing up or burning books is ever a good idea. At least not in public. Whether he was right or wrong for doing it, it is bad PR. if you don't like the book you receive in the mail, toss it in the trash, burn it or rip it up in private. Doing it in front of the press just makes you look like a neanderthal.

Here is the comment I left on this post:
Performing the misswah of destroying avodah zarah, bad PR??

:-/

Oh, no!  The goyim won't like us!

Oh, no!  The goyim will call us names, like bigots!

Oh, no!  The goyim will STOP giving us money!

Good!

:-)

Finally, a Member of K'nesseth, since Rabbi Me'ir Kahane hy"d, who is not embarrassed to act on the truth.

As Rabbi Kahane said...  say the truth, act on the truth, and the rest is min hashamayim.  The truth is Torah. (paraphrased)  

*Rafi, I hope you don't mind my smarminess, too much. I respect you and your work. It was just to make a point to those with the aforementioned attitudes. I don't happen to believe that you're one of them. My guess is that, to you, it just wasn't good move strategically. I disagree. I think it was the perfect strategy.

**Esser Agaroth does not agree with the use of the term "New Testament."  There is, after all, only one!

***Gee.  I wonder if a certain friend of Christians in K'far Tapu'ah, who claims to have been a student of Rabbi Me'ir Kahane, and to be still following in his path, would have the guts to do something like this.  Doubt it.


1 comment:

Devorah Chayah said...

First of all, thank you for addressing this. I wanted to, but never found a chance.

Contrary to modern thought and practice, I firmly believe that there is a right and a wrong in every situation. In this situation, Michael Ben Ari was absolutely correct and I'll tell you why. This was a spiritual attack on the nation of Israel - open, public and in-your-face. Truth and justice demand that the reaction to it match the deed itself, i.e. bold, public and in-your-face. I think he accomplished that with very little effort. Kol hakavod to him!!

You Might Also Like...