Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Nadav Guedj: Israel's Eurovision Hope

ו׳ לחודש השנים עשר תשע״ה

Yeah, I know, I'm always getting down on people for having a foot still stuck in galuth (exile).

Yeah, I know, Israel's participation in the Eurovision Song Competition could be seen as the epitome of validation-seeking and love-seeking from the goyim.

But, even so this story has some merit, and, yeah, even I, have my "galuth moments," once in a while. So, please indulge me, if for no other reason than being only a week away from Purim.
YNET: Israel teen tapped for Eurovision Song Contest
Sixteen-year-old reality TV winner Nadav Guedj will travel to Vienna in the hope of being first Israeli since 2010 to pass semi-finals round.
 
Ran Boker, 02.18.15 
Israel has selected its representative for the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest – Nadav Guedj, winner of the second season of reality TV show "Hakcohav Haba" ("Rising Star"). 
The 16-year-old will travel to Vienna to participate in the competition. He won the qualification final on Tuesday night over three other finalists: Avia Shoshani, Sari Nachmias, and Iki Levi & Rasta Hebrew-Man. He won the finals with a 79 e – ten points more than the bar set by Iki Levy and; Rasta Hebrew-Men, the other contenders for the top spot. 
"This is crazy. Thank you to every single person who voted for me," said Guedj. "I could have done a little better, but I feel that I delivered the goods. I'll keep working on my studies, and at least do my Bagrut (Israel's final exams)." (cont.)

Esser Agaroth (2¢):
Nadav Guedj's Rising Star Victory Song
Sixteen-year-old Nadav is an oleh (immigrant) from France, who moved to Israel with his parents. I found this to be particularly interesting, given the huge amount of publicity over the past year regarding the horrors of Jewish life there, and the battle between pro- and anti-Aliyah voices.

Who knows? Maybe Nadav's participation will call attention to the successes of olim from France, and will help to rally Jews from France, and from all around Europe to pack their bags and get on the plane

You can check out audio samples from Nadav Guedj at what appears to be his "official" You Tube Channel: NadavGuedjOfficial.

Songs include...
"When I Was Your Man" -Bruno Mars 
"Halo" -Beyoncé 
"All Of Me" -John Legend 
"Just The Two Of Us" -Bill Withers 
"Ne Partez Pas Sans Moi" -Celine Dion 
A "Crazy In Love" and "Crazy" (Beyoncé/Cee-Lo Green) mash-up
...and several others.

1 comment:

Mighty Garnel Ironheart said...

It's not about seeking validation from the Gentiles. It's about being better at Gentile things than they are.

You Might Also Like...