Friday, April 20, 2007

On The 2007 JIB's

Erev Shabbath Parshath Tazri'a-Messor'a 5767

2007 Jewish & Israeli Blog AwardsWell, now that the JIB Award Nominations are in, it's time for me to give you my 10 agaroth on them.



JIB's Sail MotifJib & Main Sail First of all, I must be slow. Even though this is the first time I bothered paying attention to the JIB Awards, I suppose I should've picked up the connection between the abbreviation "JIB" and the sailboat motif LONG ago. Please tell me that there IS a connection. It's hard for me to tell which is the "jib" and which is the "main sail" in the JIB logo, but no matter.


One of the advantages of being a native of San Diego, is that I actually know what a "jib" is. San Diego is one of only six cities in the world to play host to the America's Cup regatta. San Diego is also host to the Word Championship Over The Line Tournament (Warning: This is an R-rated tournament.) and the U. S. Open Sandcastle Championship (in Imperial Beach actually). But I digress....

Here's something I noticed in the JIB Awards FAQ's:

- So I can nominate and then others should vote or is it better for others to nominate?

We have no idea if it's a better 'strategy' to wait until you are nominated by someone or to self nominate. It won't make any difference in where you show up on the voting list whether you are nominated early or late. You may vote for yourself as well.


Strategy? What strategy? To win? I guess winning is the goal here, which undoubtedly will get you more exposure.

I am not criticizing those of you who nominated yourselves. On the contrary, I commend you. The goal here IS exposure. You will get it; I won't.

I just couldn't bring myself to nominate myself. My ego wouldn't let me, just like my ego won't let me actively request that other bloggers add me to their blog rolls. And, no, this is not a passive-aggessive way to manipulate you into blog-rolling me. Please don't, unless YOU want to. I cannot guarantee that I will return the favor, not until your blog passes the utmost scrutinous of inspections. Although I list some blogs with which I do not entirely agree politically or religiously, Mamlakhtim need not apply....

I am purposely posting this entry, now that the JIB Award Nominations are closed. So, you can't nominate me, even if you wanted to. For those of you wannabe psychologists out there, this your cue to accuse me of lacking confidence in myself. For those of you non-wannabe psychologists out there, this is your cue to accuse me of not being good enough to be nominated anyway, and "When the hell is that Ben-Yehudah guy gonna finally learn how to proof-read?!" and "He hardly blogs very much anyway!"

Well, that may change, now that I'm being laid-off as of 18 Iyyar (May 6).... But, that's another story for another tiime.

I'll just leave you with a quote, followed by a SHAMELESS plug for those of whom I nominated for a JIB Award:

"I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!" -Stuart Smalley

Note: This blogger disavows any connection whatsoever with Al Franken. So, stop the lashon hara' before it starts!

MY Nominations:

Best Overall Blog: Shiloh Musings

Best News/Current Events Blog: Tel-Chai Nation

Best Slice of Life in Israel Blog: Faith In Natan

Best Right-Wing Political Blog: Lamrot Hakol

Best Photo/Graphics Blog: Jewish Nation

9 comments:

Batya said...

And again, I'll thank you for the nomination!

Rafi G. said...

originally the sail on the award badge was due to the meaning of jibs... now as the jibs have changed hands a few times, the sail is no longer the emblem of the JIBs...

mother in israel said...

I also couldn't bring myself to nominate myself, and I only once asked someone to blogroll me. Anyway, I already checked out a blog I had never seen before (Faith in Nation). I will definitely vote.

AS said...

You can't fool us I know you are related to Al Franken! :)

Esser Agaroth said...

Um,...OK. It looks a set of Jewish magic wands in the holders. But, that's OK, because I'm a Harry Potter fan.

Esser Agaroth said...

Mother In Israel, thanks for mentioning that. Please don't tell "Nathan" I misspelled his name! I got confused with "Tel-Chai Nation" and "Jewish Nation." I'm glad I helped introduce you!

Anonymous said...

I think Ramont HaKol may have gone under she hasnt blogged in four months

Esser Agaroth said...

Patience.... She's around.

Lisa said...

Thanks for nominating me. I've been crazy busy with my new job. But Lamrot Hakol isn't over with.

You Might Also Like...