Monday, May 19, 2008

Another One Of Life's Milestones

Pesah Sheni 5768

Over a half a year after getting the go ahead from my eye doctor, I finally purchased glasses.

What took me so long? Well, that's just how I am, my procrastination, combined with my need to investigate an issue thoroughly, sprinkled with money issues, or so I thought....

After making my biannual appointment with the ophthalmologist at my qupath holim (like an HMO, but not exactly), waiting two months, and paying my NIS 19 (about $5.65) co-payment, I received my eye examination, probably my third in Israel. I like this doctor, so I have stuck with him. If I didn't, I could always shop around, and find someone who doesn't cost any more than he does. Try posting an inquiry on JANGLO or TAANGLO, to glean from the experiences of those immigrants who came before you.

That's what I did when it came to finding an optometrist, which is the next step. Here, or at least the way my doctor worked, the ophthalmologist checks the health of your eyes, and for any problems or diseases, and can give you an idea of your prescription. I only needed reading glasses, and do not have any issue to incorporate into a prescription than that.

I had to find an optical shop and get another examination for an exact prescription, or so I thought. I asked around. I asked almost everyone I knew who has glasses. You'd be surprised to know how many people with stable prescriptions simply go to the eye doctor when the visit the U. S. [or Canada, etc.].

One person recommended his friend's father-in-law, another the chain which gives members of my health insurance group a 25 percent discount, bringing the total for a new pair of glasses with examination down to only NIS 450 (about $134.00). Still another found a shop owned by French immigrants which sold him a pair for only NIS 50 (about $15). I like to support immigrant owned businesses, so this appealed to me, as did the price.

But then I hit gold. A neighbor of mine who moved in from the Tel-Aviv area recommended that I visit Shuq HaKarmel in Tel-Aviv, where he found reading glasses for only NIS 15 (about $4.46).

What a find!

Granted, I only needed reading glasses. So, this is not an option for someone with a complicated prescription. First, also by recommendation of my neighbor, I double-checked my prescription with the self-diagnostic lenses at a major drug store which sells reading glasses, obviously with the intention of checking out their selection. I do not recommend using their equipment without permission. No doubt they'll let you if you ask, and you may see something you like, albeit for a higher price than the pair I ended buying at the Shuq in Tel-Aviv.

I did look around the Mahaneh Yehudah Shuq in Jerusalem, and found only place with a small selection, not really in the Shuq either, but farther up Aggrippas Street. He only had whole number and half sizes. I needed a quarter size, so that did not help me.

On Shabbath, it was finally too unbearable learning, even with the book miles away from my eyes. So, this afternoon I made the trek out to Tel-Aviv, and now I can see!

3 comments:

Batya said...

You got gypped, just ns9.90 in Big Deal.

SnoopyTheGoon said...

Good thing you can see now better, Ya'qov. So you can go to our place and find out that you have been tagged.

Cheers.

Esser Agaroth said...

B"H

Batya, I don't know. I'll have to check it out. I needed a .25 increment.

STG, Uh-oh. Now what?

You Might Also Like...