Sunday, June 07, 2015

Dancing at a Kavkazi Jewish Wedding

כ״א לחודש השלישי תשע״ה

I bumped into this video on Facebook...
StandWithUs How to dance at a Kavkazi Jewish wedding...you're up next!

Only in Israel do you see such a beautiful and diverse blend of cultures!

h/t הצינור



Esser Agaroth (2¢):
Apparently, there were some Americans who were unable to relate to the style of dancing, presented in the video, and so they made some rather unattractive comments.

Now, I would be the first to criticize anything galuthi (related to non-Jewish exile), but I do not believe I would have done so with such negative comments. At least I hope not, and at least not to dancing.

This is how I responded to those who made the disparaging comments (which I will not repeat here):

Seriously?

If you knew just how difficult this footwork is, I sincerely doubt that you have would have called this dancing "******."

The custom of entertaining the hathan (groom) and kallah (bride) is almost universal at Jewish weddings. The way to do this, though, is to use the customs and techniques with which the couple are familiar. I wonder what Kavkazim would have to say about American weddings, dancing, and their modes of entertaining the happy couple.

Northern Kavkaz (Caucasus) Region

Kavkazi Jews took great efforts over the years to maintain their Jewish identity and customs in the face of Soviet communist control. Kavkazim generally have Jewish names, and Kavkazi men have a brith milah (Jewish circumcision), and not only know what tefillin are, but have actually put them on. Can all American Jews say the same about themselves?

Most importantly, it is a misswah (commandment) to make the hathan and kallah happy.

Oh, yeah, and for future reference, I would like to tell the expression I learned while living with more than a handful of Kavkazim in the merkaz qelitah (new immigrant absorption center):

"A Kavkazi can be your most loyal friend, or your worst enemy."

Our Kavkazi brothers and sisters should be complimented and encouraged, not disparaged.

No comments:

You Might Also Like...