Tuesday, July 10, 2007

My Dues Are Paid, So Why Shouldn't I Vote?

23 of the Fourth Month 5767

Binyamin Netanyahu
Here's the latest on the impending Likud Party primaries from Hillel Fendel at Arutz 7. Many are predicting a 20 Ellul (Sept. 3) date for the primaries, which thus far appear to include only Binyamin Netanyahu and Moshe Feiglin.

Moshe Feiglin
From almost the beginning of Moshe Feiglin's venture into the Likud, I've been a registered Likud member. I voted him in primaries and for his Manhigut Yehudit block on the Likud Central Committee. Being a member even meant that I was able to vote in the referendum on Sharon's YSh"W Expulsion Plan. A lot of good that did us to vote his plan down. He went ahead and did it anyway.

Previously, I have expressed my appreciation for Moshe Feiglin, yet increasingly luke-warm feelings toward his venture, believing that the time have arrived to throw the baby out with the bath water, and spend my NIS 48 (just over $10 these days) on something else.

So, why have I stuck around for the last additional year and a half? To be honest, I just kept forgetting to cancel my Likud membership and the hora'ath qeva' (standing instruction) allowing the NIS 48 to be withdrawn from my account every year. But, now since I'm paid up until next February, there is nothing stopping me from voting in the primary. I don't know think Moshe has a chance of taking down Binyamin Netanyahu. But, I have no doubt he'll increase his percentage of support from the last go around, and be able to further his publicity of some crucial issues.

Well, unless I end up going on my [once every 10 years] trip to the US.

Shhhh! Don't tell Moshe.

5 comments:

Batya said...

We've been dues-paying members since, well since long before I stopped voting Likud.
this time, if I can still vote, I'll vote Feiglin, too.

Rafi G. said...

he really has no chance, but this will give him a lot of exposure, especially being the only opponent. I wonder if a very low voter turnout might provide him the chance at voctory.
Meaning - Vivi supproters might not come out to vote because he is a shoo-in anyway, with no competition. Manhigut supporters are very dedicated and disciplined and will likely come out in high numbers. I wonder if Feiglin might be able to sneak in....

Esser Agaroth said...

Rafi, I don't think he has a chance, but I agree with the rest of your comment.

Unknown said...

In the past week, Moshe Feiglin has taken the important step of telling the true history and intentions of Al Fatah/PLO:

http://www.hirhome.com/israel/leaders_lied.htm

Brooklyn Habiru said...

I do not know about the rest of you, but I certainly see Halacha as being the appropriate framework of law that the Land of Israel should be governed by... Moshe Feiglin however does not think this is the case, nor does he believe it should be, even going as far as to claim that he is unaware of the imperative for such an entity. In an interview he has said "I don't know what a Halachic State is. I haven't come across halachot related to running a country in the Shulchan Aruch and, unfortunately, the world of the yeshivot has not developed such halachot over the course of the last two thousand years. No, I don't mean a Halachic State."

You Might Also Like...