There is an expression of sorts:
"Be careful what you ask for, because you just might get it."
Well, I happened to have mentioned to Jacob Da Jew, and a few other bloggers that I would not actually mind being "tagged" to do a meme.
Jacob took me up on that, and "shmagged" me, which I suppose is something like being "tagged." Well, that's how I intend to interpret it.
Of course, knowing MY luck, I get tagged for a very loooooooong meme, you know the "Number 8" one that's been going around.
Why 8, and not 5 or 10? I don't know.
But, here are some interesting notes on the number 8:
I was born on the 8th day of the Sixth Month (Ellul).
The gematriah qetanah of my full name is 8.
As 7 in the number of Shabbath, 8 is the number of Mossa'ei Shabbath (Saturday night), as well as HaOlam HaBa (The World To Come).
And, of course, this post is written during Hanukkah, which has 8 days.
8 passions in my life:
- Authentic Judaism
- The Beach
- Meeting New People
- Science Fiction/Fantasy
8 Things to do before I die:
- Get married
- Have children
- Write a book
- Publish said book
- Complete the Ramba"m's Mishnah Torah with Rav Yosef Qafah's ztz"l perush
- Achieve spiritual maturity
- Own my own home
- Write another book
8 Things that I say often:
- Right (alla Dr. Evil in "Austin Powers")
- What's up?
- By the way...
- Um,..'K (alla Kyle from "South Park")
- Mah Nishma'? (Heb.: "What's up?")
- Slihah (Heb.: "Please, get out of my way.")
- Nu. b'Emet! (Heb.: "Oh, puh-lease!")
- K'ilu (Heb.: "like")
8 books I read recently:
(The answer to this can be found in my cool, "Good Reads" widget. It actually lists 20 books. In the event the widget is being insolent, you can view the 8 most recent books I read in the comments section.)
I thought Jacob might be interested in Good Reads. He [and you] can click on my Good Reads Profile above, join in, and add me as a friend.
8 Songs that mean something to me:
- Roam - The B-52's, 1990
- Enjoy The Silence - Depeche Mode, 1990 (video)
- Never Let Me Down - Depeche Mode, 1987
- It's A Wonderful Life - Black, 1987
- Shake The Disease - Depeche Mode, 1985
- The Power Of Love - Frankie Goes To Hollywood, 1984
- The Look Of Love - ABC, 1982
- Poison Arrow - ABC, 1982
8 things I look for in a friend:
- Hold a decent and intelligent conversation
- Have something in common with me
- Doesn't take my inventory (heshbon nefesh)
- Doesn't use the word "should" with me
- Doesn't take crap from me
- Is a Virgo, Capricorn, or Pisces (not a hard & fast rule)
I think I'll just let others "shmag" themselves.
you really believe that horoscope stuff that you look for friends with specific horoscopes?
B"H Yes, I believe in some astrological concepts. It goes without saying that I believe those concepts which fall within halachic parameters. I have been studying the matter for quite some time.
No, I do pick friends based on astrology. I believe that this would be closing off my options.
However, it does happen that most of my friends happen to be Virgos, Capricorns, and Pisces.
This is not atypical for Virgos such as myself.
Personality and compatibility are, of course, more complicated than ones sun sign.
8 Most Recent Books Read:
20. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, J K Rowling
19. A Wizard of Earthsea, Ursula LeGuin
18. Vanity Fair, WIlliam Thackeray
17. The Bridge of San Luis Rey, Thornton Wilder
16. Always Coming Home, Ursula LeGuin
15. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, J K Rowling
14. The DaVinci Code, Dan Brown
15. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, J K Rowling
B"H To Deborah: I am unable to print your interpretations of Torah which you sent.
It is impossible to understand fully the Written Torah, and indeed the entire Biblical cannon, without the application of the Oral Torah, something which Christians, by definition, do not accept, or at least do not accept as being applicable today.
Astrology can have a place in Judaism, albeit a very limited place. My comment was 50-50 tongue and cheek. Obviously I do not allow astrology to dictate who my friends are. We are above that. I was mostl commenting that my friends happen to be of those signs without any predisposition on my part.
I do not believe in coincidences. I do my part, and the Almight does the rest.
We in Israel (to quote Rabbi Me'ir Kahane HY"D on early Christian Talk radio) appreciate Christian support,...from afar.
Please continue to encourage President Bush, Sec. of State Rice, self-identified Christians, and the entire U. S. government to do the right thing, and support Israel in annexing our ancestral homeland of the Tribes of Judah, Benjamin, Efraim, and Menashe (Judea and Samaria), and not to support the establishment of an additional Arab terrorist state, and to think of their spiritual future before oil.
In addition, please encourage the ceasing of U. S. for the organization of Peace Now. They are not for peace, but for the destruction of everything Holy.
See Genesis 12:3
Post a Comment