Friday, May 22, 2009

The Writing On The Wall

Yom Yerushalayim 5769

After the failed plot to bomb the Riverdale Jewish Center, I really don't understand why my fellow Jews in the U. S. don't see the writing on the wall, and get out already.

This is not the first, and it won't be the last. Right now, attacks in Los Angeles (1999), Seattle (2006), and San Francisco (2006) seem like ancient history, don't they? They seem few and far between. There doesn't seem to be much of a pattern here, does there?

How long will that last?

American Jews will tell me that I am crazy and alarmist. Others will tell me they must wait for Mashiah, before they leave galuth (the diaspora). They believe that HaShem took us into galuth, so only HaShem can take us out. They fact that there are several misswoth, and authorities which tell the opposite story, does not seem to be there concern.

Still other American Jews will tell me that if they leave America, then they will be letting the terrorists win.

If only we applied that attitude in Israel; we would be invisible.

Don't you get it? America is NOT your home. You belong here in Israel. The economic problems, worries about finding a job, learning a new language, and interacting with Jews of several cultures completely different from your own, are totally irrelevant.

Get out while you still can.

*********


See more at SHUVA - The Emergency Aliyah Movement

3 comments:

Am Kshe Oref - A Stiff-Necked People said...

"American Jews will tell me that I am crazy and alarmist."

Not at all. I've always thought and believed it absolutely could happen here.

"Others will tell me they must wait for Mashiah, before they leave galuth (the diaspora). They believe that HaShem took us into galuth, so only HaShem can take us out."

Load of crap. The only reason I'm not there now is my wife, and she is correct, believes we need to straighten out our lives here first. And going would have to take a lot of thought, job searching, finding the right community and school for our kids, etc.

This idea that only God can bring us back is ridiculous. What do they think the creation of the state of Israel is?! It's God saying, "Come back!!" And, had the Orthodox rabbis of the mid-19th century (first and foremost among them is Rabbi Samson Rafael Hirsch) had become involved in Zionism when they were ASKED by the Zionists to become involved, things would look mighty different than they do now... Imagine - early Zionism infused with Halachic Judaism... What a shame. What a lost opportunity.

This ideology of God put us in galut, so only He can bring us home, and people ignoring that the creation of a Jewish state IS God bringing us home is like the story of person trapped on his roof during a flood (say, from Katrina). Along comes a car (before the water got too deep) and offered him a ride out. He declines, stating God will save him. The waters get higher. Along comes a boat and those on board offer him a ride. He refuses, again stating God will save him. As the waters continue to rise, a helicopter comes along and throws down a rope ladder for him to climb on board to safety. Again, he refuses, for God will surely save him.

Well, the guy drowns. He gets up to be judged. He complains to God that he shouldn't have died, that he had such faith and why did God let him drown and not send a miracle. Replied the Lord: "Well, I sent a car, but you refused to get in. Then I sent a boat, and you still refused to get in. Finally, I sent a helicopter, but you still refused to get in. What the hell else did you want from me?!?!"

Same idea here...

Esser Agaroth said...

I really appreciate the time you took to post this comment.

But I gotta ask, why can't you do all that stuff here, instead of there?

This is not a dress rehearsal.

Am Kshe Oref - A Stiff-Necked People said...

Hey, listen, I don't need convincing! :) Also, making aliyah would have to be thought out very carefully. And that's actually from my side of it. My father made the mistake of making aliyah when it wasn't right to do so, he never researched communities, and moved wherever he chose, without looking into the schools available. It was a pretty bad situation. My whole educational experience got screwed up because of it.

Anyway, the day will come, hopefully soon.

You Might Also Like...