Sunday, June 19, 2011

Hormonal Aliyah

17 of the Third Month 5771

Periodically I noodge a buddy of mine about getting his tuchus on a plane to Israel, being that he's such the Zionist. He's finished his college degree, so he doesn't have THAT excuse.

I recently realized probably the only thing which might get him here is "Hormonal Aliyah."

"Hormonal Aliyah" is the overwhelming attraction to Israelis over those from ones country of origin, causing one to settle in Israel.

I did a search on Google, and I was very surprised to see that the only instance of "Hormonal Aliyah" was a comment I had left on someone else's blog a few years ago. I was very surprised, because I had first heard the term 14 years ago, shortly after I arrived in Israel. The term was credited to a professor at Tel-Aviv University.

After only a few weeks in Israel, I fully understood and accepted this concept as a truth. In my case, I had already come, and was committed to stay. The "attractiveness" of native Israelis to me was just the icing on the cake: Their eyes, their accents, how they wore their clothes, and of course, how they stood closer to each other than we did in the U. S.

One the primary goals of Esser Agaroth is to encourage Jews to make aliyah (immigrate to Israel). I could talk about idealism, Torah, and the dangers of staying in galuth (exile) until I am blue in the face. But, perhaps Hormonal Aliyah will succeed in encourageing Jews to return and settle their ancient and eternal homeland, when other reasons fail to make even a dent in our stubbornness.

It's sure worth a shot! Anything which gets Jews to come!

No comments:

You Might Also Like...