Monday, August 31, 2009

Torah-Hardcore-Punk Rock?

11 of the Sixth Month 5769

I guess maybe I haven't gotten out much in the past,...oh, I don't know,...six years, but this is the first time I have been confronted by Torah-Hardcore-Punk Rock.

You see, I did actually know it existed. I was just trying to stay in denial about it for as long as possible.

Unfortunately, I am no longer able to do so, thanks to a certain musician by the name of Yerachmiel "Rocky" Ziegler.

(Thank you, Rocky...)

Now, I am actually one who can appreciate some good, punk rock. But, I just didn't get the video below. Maybe I will have to listen to more of this group's work.

That being said, never underestimate the power of using unusual methods for the sake of qiruv (Torah outreach). After all Aish HaTorah, Chabba"d, Kahane and Carlebach circles, for example, often attract very different kinds Jews.

So who's to say that Torah-Hardcore-Punk Rock will not fill an important qiruv role in a neglected segment of Jewish society?

And now, without further adieu, please meet Moshiach Oi! with their song "This World Is Nothing," from their newly released debut album “Better Get Ready.”

...Or you made want to read about them first, in this week's edition of The Jewish Forward.




1 comment:

Mykel Board said...

Yow! Am I glad this thing exists. I had no idea!

You Might Also Like...